Mix & Match §
by Max & Mitch Ninelette
The goal of this Mix & Match puzzle is to reconstitute a set of nine 9-letter words that have each had two trigrams removed. Below are two separate puzzles. Each includes a table to fill out and a set of trigrams with which to fill it up. Using each trigram once, fill the blanks in the table to form various nine-letter words. When you are done, three additional words will be revealed in the vertical direction for each puzzle.
If you think you’ve figured out all the answers—that’s 24 nine-letter words!—submit your solution to the editors of SpecGram by September 15, 2016, and you could win a prize.* Solutions and winners will be announced in the October issue.
Some plausible answers to last month’s query concerning the second batch of L’Ishing du Gwujlang/Lusrveer mnemonically merged definitions (MMDs) are presented below:
- To miff a mutt is to irk a cur.
- Dispute nozzles are spat taps.
- To omit choices is to skip picks.
- To puncture flying mammals is to stab bats.
- Pain food is ouch chow.
- A chalice for a sporting disk is a puck cup.
- The disposition of disaster is the doom mood.
- To abandon baby beef is to leave veal.
- Rock music is stone notes.
- A 24-hour period of assistance is an aid day.
- A poke at a symbol of authority is a badge jab.
- An unslovenly adolescent is a neat teen.
- If the desk compartment shouted then the drawer roared.
- The speech of the ensnared is caught talk.
- A pathogen consolidation is a germ merge.
- A lovely placard is a nice sign.
- To pay attention to inflection is to note tone.
- Ottoman instruments are stool lutes.
- Lozenge effrontery is pill lip.
Thanks to Daniel Swanson, Mark Mandel, Siva Kalyan, and Tanjam Jacobson for their contributions to the decipherment. Each will receive a prize for their help, as eligible. Honorable mention to Keith & Jesse Slater, who accrue mere fame and glory.
* Note that SpecGram Anti-Hoarding Guidelines stipulate that puzzle-related prizes cannot be won by anyone who has won a puzzle-related prize in the last three months—though honor, fame, and glory may still be seized on the metaphorical field of puzzle-related battle.