This is the twelfth Rasmus Rask puzzle, devoted to the original Mr. Charming Scandinavian Linguist. The puzzle is similar to a crossword puzzle, in that there is a grid for filling in words and phrases, and clues for the ACROSS and DOWN directions. However, all the squares in a Rasmus Rask puzzle are filled with letters, and the answers to the clues may (but are not required to) overlap. Clues for a particular row or column are given together, in the order they appear in the grid. No indication of the amount of overlap between clues is given. Letters spelling out RASMUS RASK along the diagonal are given to provide a framework for filling in the answers. Grey squares should remain blank.
Complete the puzzle and send your solutions to the editors of SpecGram by October 15th, 2021 and you could win a prize. The correct solution and winners, if any, will be announced in the upcoming November issue.
• Likely onomatopoetic chihuahua noise.
• A dysenteric protozoan, sans ethel, American style.
• Adding /-ɚ/ to the end of this word changes the pronunciation of the middle of the word from /oʊl/ to /ɑ/
• A holiday-
• A common plurale tantum in American English with a slightly different meaning in British English.
• Auxiliary language with fewer speakers than Esperanto, but more than Volapük.
• A small demon, especially one that employs a commanding mood or incomplete past action.
• A famously self-
• Abbreviation for a particular groove separating two particular temporal gyri; it responds strongly when processing faces, voices, and language.
• Dialectal word for a face, nose, or beak; with -y it means “nosey” on both sides of the Atlantic.
• Part of The Amazing Mumford’s magical catch phrase.
The answers to last month’s Seeing Double clues are: marker, perfect, middle, unproductive, suppletion, literal, finite, acoustic, pragmatic, patient, inclusive, mood, and function. Each word, like the authors’ names, contains one letter twice. They spell out reduplication.
Each of the puzzlemeisters below will receive some moderately desirable SpecGram merch of their choosing:
CJ Quines • Joe Fumai • Aoife Ó Briain
In addition, the following puzzlers have achieved the everlasting glory that comes with an honorable mention:
Luca Dinu • Keith Slater • Trey Jones
Congrats to all!