This is the ninth Rasmus Rask puzzle, devoted to the original Mr. Charming Scandinavian Linguist. The puzzle is similar to a crossword puzzle, in that there is a grid for filling in words and phrases, and clues for the ACROSS and DOWN directions. However, all the squares in a Rasmus Rask puzzle are filled with letters, and the answers to the clues may (but are not required to) overlap. Clues for a particular row or column are given together, in the order they appear in the grid. No indication of the amount of overlap between clues is given. Letters spelling out RASMUS RASK along the diagonal are given to provide a framework for filling in the answers. Grey squares should remain blank.
Complete the puzzle and send your solutions to the editors of SpecGram by April 15th, 2019 and you could win a prize. The correct solution and winners, if any, will be announced in the upcoming May issue.
• Weather that fails to be damp or rainy.
• Not Ā-bound.
• Languages only have daughters, but never these, oddly.
• A redheaded thickener of sauces.
• Initialism that covers English-
• If you say you have “relaxed pronunciation” instead of this, you don’t sound nearly as intoxicated.
• A chapter of the Quran, or the lower leg of a Roman.
• ६, ꧖, ౬, ၆, ୬, ௬, ٦, ꩖, ༦, ፮, ៦, ৬, ೬, ൬, ໖, ꤆, ๖, ۶, or Ϝ΄.
• The variety of English featuring (Zip) and (Ringo), a pair of robust, enterprise-
• A photographic device, clipped from a longer Latin phrase meaning “dark room”.
• One of the 4th-
The solutions to last month’s puzzle, Mix & Match ※, are provided here. The nine 9-letter words from the first puzzle are: cuneiform, stutterer, styleless, recursion, trivalent, fanatical, inanimate, schoolboy, secondary; and the three additional words are: utterance, iteration, resonator. For the second puzzle, the nine words are: sublative, insomniac, greybeard, nonliquid, irregular, formulate, imbroglio, elocution, ravishing; and the three additional words are: signifier, ambiguous, variation. Each of the puzzlemeisters below will receive some moderately desirable SpecGram merch:
Samuel Andersson • Alex DelPriore • Emma Manning
In addition, the following puzzlers have achieved the everlasting glory that comes with an honorable mention:
Vincent Fish • Thorsten Schröter • Keith Slater