Mix & Match ‡
by Max & Mitch Ninelette
The goal of this Mix & Match puzzle is to reconstitute a set of nine 9-letter words that have each had two trigrams removed. Below are two separate puzzles. Each includes a table to fill out and a set of trigrams with which to fill it up. Using each trigram once, fill the blanks in the table to form various nine-letter words. When you are done, three additional words will be revealed in the vertical direction for each puzzle.
If you think you’ve figured out all the answers—that’s 24 nine-letter words!—submit your solution to the editors of SpecGram
by June 15, 2016, and you could win a prize.* Solutions and winners will be announced in the July issue.
Some plausible answers to last month’s query concerning the first batch of L’Ishing du Gwujlang/Lusrveer mnemonically merged definitions (MMDs) are presented below:
- Therefore a man-eating giant is ergo ogre.
- To profit half a score is to net ten.
- To disfigure large pebbles is to scar rocks.
- To have passed water a great way down is to have peed deep.
- When a whirling adherent trembled, a dervish shivered.
- 1.6 km of citrus emeralds is a lime mile.
- Une pomme frite between the stumps is a pitch chip.
- Moola that is due is dough owed.
- A ribald anesthetic is an earthy ether.
- To exude tranquility is to seep peace.
- A social society for the appreciation of appreciable mass is a bulk club.
- “Get out of here, tariff” is scat, tax!
- Tawdry garishness of young poultry is chick kitsch.
- A bilious buss is a sick kiss.
- The totality of rules and regulations is all law.
- To gobble up dresses is to scarf frocks.
- A small intestinal heave is a gut tug.
- The face of a spotted cube is a dice side.
- An anti-vegan crew is a meat team.
Thanks to Adam Graham, Keith Slater, Siva Kalyan, and Tom Roberts for their contributions to the decipherment. Each will receive a prize for their help, as eligible.
* Note that SpecGram Anti-Hoarding Guidelines stipulate that puzzle-related prizes cannot be won by anyone who has won a puzzle-related prize in the last three months—though honor, fame, and glory may still be seized on the metaphorical field of puzzle-related battle.