A Sample of Self-Definers—Grammatical Categories
The SpecGram Book Elves™
Here is another hand-curated selection from “Appendix A: A Self-Defining Linguistic Glossary”, a.k.a. “The only truly reliable cram sheet for your Linguistics 101 final”, from The Speculative Grammarian Essential Guide to Linguistics.
- conjunction and/or disjunction
- countable nouns
- the definite article
- dual number for two of us
- exclusive first person plural pronouns for us (but not you!)
- inclusive first person plural pronouns for us (and you!)
- an indefinite article
- noun phrase
- I analyze/analyzed/will analyze/am analyzing/have analyzed/had analyzed the paradigm.
- paucal number for a few of us
- pro clitic
- What’s a question word?
- trial number for three of us
- uncountable nounhood
More to come...