Cartoon Theories of Linguistics
Part IV—Statistical Machine Translation
Phineas Q. Phlogiston, Ph.D.
Unintentional University of Lghtnbrgstn
We will dispense with the preliminaries, and get to the meat of the matter. For the next installment in our Cartoon Theories of Linguistics, we will turn our attention to statistical machine translation, using semi-automatically aligned texts:
Next time: Phonetics vs. Phonology with guest cartoonist Hilário Parenchyma.
- Booth, A. D., L. Brandwood, and J. P. Cleave (1958). Mechanical resolution of linguistic problems. Butterworths Scientific Publications.
- Brown, P., S. Della Pietra, V. Della Pietra, and R. Mercer (1991). “The mathematics of statistical machine translation: parameter estimation.” Computational Linguistics, 19(2), 263-311.
- Ceccato, S., et al. (1961). Linguistic analysis and programming for mechanical translation. Gordon and Breach.
- Chiang, D. (2005). “A Hierarchical Phrase-Based Model for Statistical Machine Translation.” In Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL’05).
- Farwell, D., L. Gerber, and E. Hovy (eds.) (1998). Machine translation and the information soup. Proceedings of the Third conference of the Association for Machine Translation in the Americas, AMTA’98. Springer.
- Koehn, P., F. J. Och, and D. Marcu (2003). “Statistical phrase based translation.” In Proceedings of the Joint Conference on Human Language Technologies and the Annual Meeting of the North American Chapter of the Association of Computational Linguistics (HLT/NAACL).
- Locke W. N., and A. D. Booth (eds.) (1955). Machine translation of languages: fourteen essays. The MIT Press.
- Nagao M. (1989). Machine translation: how far can it go? Translated by N. D. Cook. Oxford University Press.
- Panov, D. Yu. (1960). Automatic translation. Translated from the Russian by R. Kisch; edited by A. J. Mitchell. Pergamon Press.
- Papegaaij, B. and K. Schubert (1988). Text coherence in translation. Foris Publications.
- Quah, C. K. (2006). Translation and technology. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Rozencvejg, V. Ju. (ed.) (1974). Machine translation and applied linguistics. Athenaion Verlag.
- Schwarzl, A. (2001). The (im)possibilities of machine translation. Peter Lang.